RE: [xmca] FW: NCTEAR

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@uga.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 28 2007 - 10:53:04 PST

Mike, I guess that asking me a direct question is one way to get me to
contribute to these discussions. Sorry I've mostly lurked of late--it's one
of those years.

The question "What is literacy?" came up in a doctoral seminar I'm teaching
on research in composition this semester. One of the students brought in
something from Gunther Kress (a literacy-oriented semiotics guy) in which he
argues that literacy ought only to be applied to the ability to read or
produce letter-oriented codes. Kress has also been part of the New London
Group, famed for its paper on Multiliteracies, a construct that accounts for
"new" literacies largely following from recent technologies--the images,
sounds, etc. involved in internet communication.

For what it's worth, I just checked my dictionary and got the following for
"literacy":
Function:noun
Date:1883
 : the quality or state of being literate

It's interesting that they date the term to 1883; was there no such concept
in English before then?

I then checked "literate":
Etymology:Middle English literat, from Latin litteratus marked with letters,
literate, from litterae letters, literature, from plural of littera
Date:15th century

1 a : EDUCATED, CULTURED b : able to read and write
2 a : versed in literature or creative writing : LITERARY b : LUCID,
POLISHED *a literate essay* c : having knowledge or competence
*computer-literate* *politically literate*

So, the term's root helps define the term as one concerned with letters. And
images were available at the time as well. I'm currently writing a handbook
chapter in which I use the following about Paris's Cathedral of Notre-Dame:

In the sixth century Pope Gregory the Great proposed that the scriptures be
depicted on the walls of churches for the benefit of the largely unlettered
Christian flock. In the city of Arras in northern France in 1025, religious
leaders revived this proposal, believing that it might enable "illiterate
people to learn what books cannot teach them" (Gies & Gies, 1994, p. 130).
During the Middle Ages sculpture was the most esteemed artistic medium, one
of the few that could be admired and understood by both aristocrats and
uneducated peasants. Many European churches began to provide comprehensive
theological lessons carved in stone, the Cathedral of Notre-Dame among them.
Because it depicted the Biblical narrative in sculpture and other art forms
so that it could be read by the masses, the church was variously known as
the Sermon in Stone and the Bible of the Poor.

So, this idea of "reading" images is not so new after all--it's been around
for at least 1000 years, and in texts that were central to the lives of the
people of the time.

All this brings me no closer to answering your question than I was before I
started. I'm among those who've talked about literacy as part of images--not
so much through computer images but in "reading" drawings in architecture,
interior design, and horse ranch design; and in interpreting literature
through art. (if anyone's interested in the references, they're listed at
http://www.coe.uga.edu/~smago/vita/vitaweb.htm; I've got pdf files of most
of them.) According to Kress (at least in the reference my student
provided), doing so is off the mark.

WHAT DO YOU THINK??

Peter