Re: [xmca] FW: NCTEAR

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 28 2007 - 09:02:20 PST

Hi Peter-- Now if only I retired and could go to all these interesting
conferences!! Thanks for the post.

Kevin has from time to time been around xmca and perhaps you or he or
someone would comment on the proliferation of the uses
of the term, literacy. I have dabbled in such extrensions in a timid way in
an earlier paper on the concept of literacy in print and film.
And, of course, I live immersed in the discussions of computer literacy. Nor
can I avoid the multitude of "literacies" that have gone in
and out of vogue in recent decades: emotional literacy, cultural literacy,
multi-cultural literacy, information-seeking literacy, visual literacy,
music literacy ..............

Sometimes it seems to me that sometimes the term, literacy, is a simple
substitute for "knowledge of." At other times special systems of codes
are involved (so my co-author and argued vis a vis film literacy and I would
argue for some other uses of the term, but not all). The title of the
conference sharply accentuates this issue.-- living literacies of the body
and image.

What, indeed, counts as literacy. What does count mean in this case?
1,2,3,4,.......!! Which ideas re literacy are we for?

Maybe the conference organizers could stream the major talks so we could all
have a chance to learn? As it is, this
Brer rabbit will be holed up teaching and preparing classes when not seeking
to promote (dare I sway it!) the literacy
of children who are being set up to be non-union peripheral workers in local
service industries.

mike