Re: [xmca] Elements and Units

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 27 2007 - 10:54:44 PST

David et al-- In the fall 1979 issue of Soviet Psychology, vol 18, no 1,
p3-66 there is a long article by Karl Levitin about the involvement of the
Vygotskian scholars of the time
in the life of the blind deaf. The little monograph, which Karl titled "The
best path to man," makes clear Ilyenkov's involvement with this long term
project as well as that of
Mescheryavov whose book, Awakening to Life was published by Progress,
Leontiev, and several others.

The entire piece is worth reading, but in particular, in the context of this
discussion, the fact that the Russians noted parts of Helen Keller's
autobiography that appear to fall out
of memory, that capacity being, as David notes,. a funny thing. In
particular, (pp. 22ff) it recounts how Helen would hang on her mother's
skirts and participate in household activities
and "make clumsy signs." It goes on to quote Keller on her interactions with
the daughter of the Keller's cook, three years older than Helen, who, she
reports, could understand her
signs.

Seems worth re-covering the reports and discussion vis a vis current
concerns. The Russians were putting a huge emphasis on participation in
joint, mediated, activity as the conditions for one to become a fully
competent human being.

I am cc'ing Karl on this note. With his permission perhaps we can bring the
entire essay to you in the brave new world of pdf files.
mike