Re: [xmca] In case you missed it

From: geraldine.mcdonald@clear.net.nz
Date: Sun Jan 21 2007 - 15:13:25 PST

I have for long been interested in the capacity of people to
believe false information and fail to accept contrary
evidence even in the absence of social pressure, desire to
protect one's patch, and so on. Murray's article led me to
think of the APA volume edited by Neisser which was supposed
to explain rising intelligence but failed to ask obvious
questions about how IQ tests are scored and how this
process interacts with the demographic patterns of
schooling. The Flynn "evidence", for example, is based on
scores from samples which differ in age-grade composition.
How can this "phlogiston effect", concept obviously wrong
but lasted for 100 years, be interpreted by CHAT? What
determines the body of knowledge that mediates a belief? How
much information is needed? Can a zoped, as a possibility
for change in scientific ideas, arise on the basis of
mediation by a single contrary explanation or does it depend
upon two or more sources? I was thinking here of the late
Graham Nutthall's finding that a student learnt a concept
when he/she had encountered the information needed to
understand it at least three times. The information could
come from different sources. I wonder whether CHAT offers a
complementary message to the sociological one offered by
Kuhn. When I asked Mike whether he knew of any work along
CHAT lines he suggested that I should float these ideas on
xmca and so I am doing just that.
Geraldine

----- Original Message Follows -----