RE: [xmca] Action Research and its relationship to XMCAtheoreticaland methodological interests

From: Michael Glassman (MGlassman@ehe.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2007 - 10:30:32 PST

Hello Michael,

It seems to me the example you give about a headache has more to do with a definition of the problem than it does to do with the role of history. Do I define the problem as a need to remove the pain right now, or do I define the problem as the need to make sure I don't get headaches again. If I define the problem as the former then I take an aspirin, and because the consequences of the action are that I no longer have a headache, I am able to assert that the aspirin helped in getting rid of the headache, and I have a relatively high level of warranted assertability, and the aspirin becomes the first instrument I reach for when wanting to solve a similar problem. If I want to get rid of my headaches completely, I don't determine the cause beforehand, because that is going to guide my problem solving activity, but not necessarily in the right direction (let's say I think that my dog's barking is causing my headaches - I get rid of my dog, and that is my solution. But my headaches continue, and now I am without a dog). Instead I approach the problem as an experiment, setting up careful activities with measurable consequences. This is not to say that ideas that have gone before are not important, but only as part of an array of instruments I can use in my experiment.

But history often times plays a more important, defining role, that has implications for our problem solving. History takes a dominant position in our thinking and then we focus on maintenance of history rather than the solving of the problem. This, it seems to me, is at least part of the problem that action research is attempting to deal with, at least in some of its incarnations. It is interesting because Santayana makes the point very early that Americans have two ways of dealing with issues - the way they say they are going to deal with issues and the way that they actually do deal with issues. Even back in in early part of the nineteenth century American's were saying that they deal with issues through religion/ideology such as being Catholics, or Protestants, or Conservatives or such. But in actual problem solving Americans are almost always Naturalists, dealing with problems as they occur within the confines of nature. The difficulty is sometimes that ideology overwhelms Naturalism, and it does so through history - meaning it causes people to confuse who they say they are with what they do. Here in the United States we are going through an interesting political period in which individuals actually act (vote) against their own best interests. The question is why. Is it the manipulation of activity through the implications of history? Again, it seems to me that this was one of the issues Action Research is meant to solve (I have some ideas of why it might not be that successful related to the dynamic nature of information). This is why I wonder if the introduction of history from the CHAT perspective is necessarily a positive for Action Research. I don't have any answer for this, and I'm not drawing any conclusions. Just something this discussion on Action Research has spurred in my thinking.

Michael