[xmca] And....Another Conference

From: dankirk@uga.edu
Date: Thu Jan 18 2007 - 20:08:17 PST

As we are talking about conferences, one for those with an international/comparative slant to your own work. It looks as if this may spark some interesting debate regarding the role of the US in the global educational community. Anyway, for what it is worth, I'm going!!!
Cheers, Dan.

Education for Innovation in India, China and America

In his 2006 State of the Union message, President George W. Bush called upon the U.S. to bolster mathematics and science education and to nurture corporate innovation. In the same month, Chinese President Hu Jintao outlined major strategic tasks for building an innovation-oriented society. And Atul Khekade, COO of India’s BrainReactions LLC, asked in a widely read news source if his country will become “India, the next innovation giant?”

Two strong beliefs that have influenced national economic policy in recent years are that vibrant economies are driven by innovation, and that innovation can be taught and nurtured in schools and colleges. These ideas have been especially important in the India-China-U.S. relationship. India and China look at education and innovation as pathways to "upscaling" and diversifying their economies. The U.S. views education for innovation as a key competitive advantage and the means by which it will remain an economic superpower.

Emory University and the India, China and America (ICA) Institute are pleased to announce an international conference on “Education for Innovation in India, China and America,” to be held on March 2-3, 2007 at the Emory Conference Center Hotel in Atlanta, USA. The goals of the conference are to examine the evidence that innovation and ingenuity can in fact be taught, to explore the most effective educational strategies to promote these abilities, and to identify the relationship between education for innovation and national competitiveness or economic development.

An exceptional lineup of distinguished speakers will present papers on this timely topic:

Richard G. Baraniuk, Victor E. Cameron Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Founder of Connexions, Rice University, Houston, TX, USA
Sir John Daniel, President and CEO, The Commonwealth of Learning, Vancouver, Canada
MaryAnn Feldman, Miller Distinguished Professor, Institute of Higher Education, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, USA
James C. Kaufman, Director, Learning Research Institute, California State University, San Bernardino, CA, USA
R. A. Mashelkar, Director General, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi, India
William F. Massy, Professor Emeritus and former VP for Business and Finance, Stanford University; President, The Jackson Hole Higher Education Group, Inc., Jackson Hole, WY, USA
Barry McGaw, Director, Melbourne Education Research Institute, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Katherine K. Perkins, Associate Director, Physics Education Technology Project, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, USA
Sam Pitroda, Chair, National Knowledge Commission, New Delhi, India
Denis Fred Simon, Provost and Vice-President for Academic Affairs, Levin Graduate Institute, State University of New York, New York City, NY, USA
Zhou Mansheng, Deputy Director -General, National Centre for Education Development Research, Ministry of Education, Beijing, PRC
The Conference proceedings will be published as a book by Sense Publishers. Additional contributors to the book include Dr. Carl Wieman, Nobel Prize winner in physics, and Dr. Dan Steinbock author and ICT Research Director, India, China and America Institute.