Re: [xmca] Another Conference

From: Volker.hippie (Volker.hippie@tele2adsl.dk)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2007 - 13:45:13 PST

Mike asks for /to send reports if they attend any of these interesting
conferences.
/
I have been to two fine conferences in November and December 2006,
related to this list and Vygotsky.

The first one was the "*7th international Vygotsky memorial
conference*", 14th to 17th of November, in Moscow, with participants
from the US (Dot Robinson was one of the persons working very hard and
all the time to make all possible), from Brazil, Spain, Finland, Sweden,
Germany, Japan, and Denmark, and many more...

A celebration, together with the youth, the young students of Moscow
University was one of the highlights, workshops about "the Golden Key
Schools" and a speech by Elena Kravtsova, the granddaughter of Vygotsky,
were others. The "*International Vygotsky Society*" was founded, -
preparing the conference next year, about roleplay.
Interesting for me was the expression, the term /"non-classical"
psychology/, which I had not met in the way expressed here in Moscow.

For me it seems that Moscow wants to connect to the world and show an
openness to all kind of "new" and more performative forms of expressing
the work of Vygotsky, though they at the same time want to demonstrate,
that the roots of cultural historical dialectical psychology is in
Russia. My paper at the conference, if you are interested, is here:
http://hjem.tele2adsl.dk/Volker/Performing%20Vygotskyc2.html

The other event, symposium, workshop was my participation in the annual
meeting of the Serbian - Bosnian (RS)- NGO-organisation, "*Hi Neighbor"
*- together with friends from Macedonia, Kosovo, US, U.K. and Japan...
Here I always, every year, meet fantastic people, celebrating the
Vygotskian play or performance, where young and old, together, perform
/a head taller than they are/. Workshops where participants, together,
while acting, without talking, make pieces of theater.
There are speeches, a kind of symposium, with more theoretically and/or
empiric topics, in combination with play and practice.
The atmosphere is very special, - it is for me a/ zone for nearby
development and friendship/, and that in an way, which I have not met
other places.
For me, an oasis of learning for development.

This year was very special. Just some weeks before the annual gathering
we. the international community of people coming to the annual meetings
and symposiums at e.g. Banja Luka University, got the for us very sad
message that our friend, professor Jovan Savic, from Banja Luka, one of
the founders of "Hi Neighbor", had died. Jovan was a very fantastic man,
one of the few but so very important lights in the beginning of the
90ties, where dark times where all around. Jovan believed in Vygotsky,
and in working for community, people, his many, many students, always
helpful, and always being able to see the good in the other. He was an
altruistic man, and therefore it was always wonderful to experience to
respond to his invitations to come to Banja Luka, for to meet students,
for to do workshops, for to give a speech about Vygotsky, and
performance, at his university.
At the event this year we talked about his life and all the wonderful
things we have done together with him, - and before and after our
touching talks, we played and cried, changing between thoughtfulness and
the performing of a common craziness where we were in love with the
roles we played together. I dare to call these annual meetings for /my
zones of nearby possibilities/, and this time this possibilities even
touched the issue of life and death, in a sharing and a performative way.

Therefore, I would like you all to remember professor Jovan Savic, from
Banja Luka, - who is one of few I know who where able to create hope
wherever he was.

Volker