[xmca] Another Conference

From: Lois Holzman (lholzman@eastsideinstitute.org)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2007 - 18:08:38 PST

While we're on a conference announcing role, here's another:

Performing the World 4 ‹
The Performance of Community and the Community of
Performance

Friday, October 12 - Sunday, October 14, 2007,
Tarrytown House, Tarrytown,
NY
Proposals Due March 15, 2007

Performing the World 4 recognizes, celebrates and interrogates the growing
global performance movement and its relationship to community building--the
thousands of innovative performance projects taking place in urban centers,
towns and villages the world over, and the researchers, theoreticians and
analyzers of what all this ensemble creativity, improvisatory play and
"stage-making" might mean for human development, the growth of communities
and social change.

The weekend conference will bring together performers, educators, artists,
scholars and researchers, psychologists and therapists, health and helping
professionals, business professionals, youth workers, social entrepreneurs,
activists, and community organizers to showcase innovative practice and
scholarship and provide a rich context for learning and performing together.

A sampling of conversational themes , panels, workshops and performances:
  Performance as a Community Building Methodology
  Postmodern Creativity and Performance
  Knowing, Not Knowing and Performing
  Performance as Metaphor
  Performance as a Way of Life
 The Therapeutics of Performance
 The Creativity of the Group, Ensemble and Community
 Theatre and Community
 The Creativity of Improvisation
 Performing, Improvising and Learning
 The Power of Play
 And more

Fields of Interest:
 Education
 Drama in Education
 Psychology and Psychotherapy
 Community Development
 Medicine and Health Care
 Organizational Change, Business
and Management
 Theatre
 Performance Studies
 Applied Theatre
 Youth Development
 Participatory Research and Evaluation
 Political and Community Organizing
 And more

Proposals, instructions and forms for submitting proposals, due March 15,
2007, can be viewed and downloaded at www.performingtheworld.org
<http://www.performingtheworld.org/> .
Performing the World 4 is sponsored by the East Side Institute for Group and
Short Term Psychotherapy, 920 Broadway, 14th floor, New York, NY, 10010.
Tel. 212.941.8906, Fax 212.941.0511, www.eastsideinstitute.org
<http://www.eastsideinstitute.org/>
Convening Committee
Dan Friedman (The Castillo Theatre and Youth OnStage!,
NYC)
Lois Holzman (East Side Institute for Group and Short Term
Psychotherapy, NYC)
Sheila McNamee (University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH)
Fred Newman (East Side Institute for Group and Short Term Psychotherapy,
NYC)

Environment
Performing the World 4 will be held at the Tarrytown House in Tarrytown, New
York, 24 miles north of Manhattan. The Tarrytown House is situated amidst
wooded bluffs overlooking the Hudson River. Built in the late 1800s as a
country estate, it offers all the facilities and amenities of the 21st
century. Accommodations include cable TV, phone and Internet access, and use
of the fitness center, indoor pool, and tennis courts. The Tarrytown House
is surrounded by miles of jogging and walking trails.

Lois