Re: [xmca] CHAT and action-research

From: Kevin Rocap (Kevin.Rocap@liu.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 13 2007 - 14:37:54 PST

Dear Mike,

I agree, yet think the bridge perhaps needs to be stronger or different
if we're looking for some situated connectedness among CHAT, action
research and/or action science, no? Whether we think other methods,
approaches do it well or not, don't most educational and social science
approaches somehow privilege practice for testing and/or developing
theory? (again, with my caveat that we may not think they all do it
well). Grounded Theory comes to mind as a methodology. Various
qualitative/ethnographic approaches seek to privilege practice, no? And
even the so-called "scientifically-based research" espouses looking for
practice-based evidence and practice-based outcomes as the only ground
on which to draw conclusions of effectiveness and efficacy. Yet, these
approaches often start from an "outsiders" perspective on a given
practice or set of practices - which I think is the key distinction from
participatory and/or action research (and, at times, CHAT). Or, what am
I missing? Don't these other approaches also privilege practice at some
level as the test of theory?

In Peace,
K.