Re: correction RE: [xmca] Reference for ontological andphylogeneticlanguagecomparison

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2007 - 19:47:48 PST

Folks-- I have a couple of papers and a review of a book on "bio-cultural
co-construction"
in press or published. I get the idea that culture and human phylogeny are
co-constructed. Honest.

But the terminology floating around in the discussion is too loose for me to
connect with. The demonstration of neuror mirrons in chimps is clear. But
for humans? Who has done single
cell studies of humans? Missing those refs.
mike

PS-- Perhaps Monica has pointed to a way in which I am introducing ambiguity
into the discussion by putting human in front of phylogeny. I hestitated on
that, but figure it was
the hominid line that people were interested in. For sure, isolated elements
of what we refer to as culture are present in non-humans. An article I
wrote a while back for the Handbook
of Child Psych reviews evidence to that time. The evidence is accumulating
rapidly, but not nearly as rapidly as the speculation!!

Also, perhaps of interest, is my view that the basic principles of
cultural-historical psych
of about 1929 do a pretty good, although in some ways flawed, anticipation
of what
current evidence points to in more detail.