RE: [xmca] Cobb & McClain from a different perspective

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@uga.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 06 2007 - 05:15:18 PST

Just a note to make sure that everyone understands that the presence of
teachers' unions is not a national phenomenon (in the US, anyhow). In the
South, where I've lived the majority of my life, teachers' unions are
virtually nonexistent. Unions of any sort are rare--it's part of the
authoritarian culture of the South, broadly speaking. Around the turn of the
20/21st century, teachers were even stripped of due-process dismissal
rights--they can simply be fired by principals who want them gone--because,
as the thinking goes, teachers are the problem for poor education, and
strong administrators are the solution. I think that this fact is worth
sharing with anyone who believes that unions are the problem, given that the
South tends to lag behind other regions in most measurements of educational
quality (themselves dubious, in my view). Peter