RE: [xmca] Cobb & McClain from a different perspective

From: Michael Glassman (MGlassman@ehe.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2007 - 18:03:05 PST

Yes,

I agree with Phillip. Dick Atkinson's view of teacher's unions makes me very sad. Of course there are not such things as unions per se - to use the language from the article - that is a reification. There are people who band together as a union, responding to issues as they arise, and many times those issues include fear - and fear many times for very good reasons. Our society many times devalues teachers and what they have to offer, thinking that somebody else knows better. I was talking yesterday to a student who is doing work exploring charter schools - for the most part they are a mess in Ohio. Because teachers - who were members of unions - were left out, and for profit organizations came in who knew nothing about education. But of course, at least they don't have unions. There is a lesser known aspect to the charter schools (that I just found out about recently) - where they are actually offered to teachers who want to put the effort in to create Schools Within Schools. I am working with one of these charters right now, and because it belongs to the teachers they are putting in an extraordinary effort, giving their lives to this school, and willing to look at any innovation. I would go back and ask the people who started Charter schools why this wasn't a bigger, perhaps central part to begin with.

I did read the Cobb and McClain article, and I am ambivalent about it. I really liked their attempt to develop linkages between social systems, and their attempts to develop social capital in communities that are attempting to deal with high stakes testing. As a matter of fact the definition of communities of practice are very close to the sociological and political science definitions of social capital - not so much creating communities, but creating bonds within a community in order to achieve a purpose (in this case it seems better scores on high stakes tests - or am I missing something? I found it a little disengenuous when the authors said the teachers and leaders were using the discourse of reform in their discussion and not the discourse of high stakes testing. It seemed to me that the purpose throughout the project was constant, which was to develop higher scores on the tests - but again perhaps I am missing something). Anyway the definitions used for developing the community of practice, especially mutual relationships seemed to mirror the ideas of social capital - and this gets to the idea that if you can get people to both trust (used in the broad sense here - maybe closer to the term mutual aid) and to believe that they were working together towards a goal they will develop better situational methods to reach those goals. But is this what we want? Development of social capital or communities of practice in the service of students doing better of high stakes tests?

Well that's enough for me for now. Not even sure I made any sense. It was an interesting article.

Michael