Re: [xmca] zopeds and virtual learning environments

From: Linda Polin (linda.polin@pepperdine.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2007 - 22:00:50 PST

200 undergrads? wow indeed. How can you teach 200 undergrads
anything? I like to matrix sample in my big classes (for me, that
would over 18 people). Maybe you can section the 200 into groups and
have them search out various communities and share notes/experiences?

Ask how many have a console with online gaming, e.g., Halo, Xbox
live. Probably quite a few. Also i bet a lot play WoW of EVE or EQ
or Lineage, etc. I know we have college undergrads in our guild. They
complain about the bandwidth in the dorms a lot. (And our univ.
network folks complain about the use of bandwidth for gaming).

The main problem with MMOs for a clas is that, as complex
communities, it takes a while (more than a semester) to get
sufficiently insider enough to "see" and experience community.

I've attached Dr. Megan Conklin's (Elon University) handout from the
first Games, Learning, Society conference, with suggestions for using
Second Life in college classes. That may be your best bet. It's much
simpler. True, there's no "game" there, but it will give them a taste
of virtual community life. Also I think Jim Gee's book or Henry
Jenkin's new Convergence Culture book would give them a pretty good
taste.

For easy-peasy and free online game communities there's also Neopets
(popular with grades 5-9 mostly) >> http://www.neopets.com

As for narrative, I have found my own child (an 8th girl) to be
deeply involved with role playing boards. She is asst manager on one,
and has also created her own groups. These are spaces that were built
for uses more like xmca's listserv site, but which the kids use for
interactive story writing. in fact, it's more than just that. These
are based upon book series that the kids are obsessed with (e.g.,
Redwall, Lord of the Rings), and the kids create or recreate or
appropriate (yeah appropriate) the book culture. this is real,
intentional, culture work. and they HOURS into it. Sarah has taught
herself a great deal of html in order to make it work the way she
wants. There are hundreds of these sites; some with 20 people, some
with many, many more. They are fascinating.

http://groups.msn.com/WarriorsANewMoon/entrance.msnw

Linda

ps
Here's one of my favorite "rules" from the The Warrior Code. Is this
middle school or what, LMAO:

3. Cats can fall in love and have kits BUT don't descibe it
=====
here's a post on this from my participation in the MacArthur site
from October:

I have been watching 12-13 year olds, mostly but not exclusively
girls, "playing" on RP (role playing)
boards. The boards are run through Yahoo groups or MSN groups
structures, which the
players have adapted for their purposes. This is play, though whether
or not it is "game,"
I'm not sure. There are most definitely rules, but the rules are
concocted by the leaders of
the individual RP boards, and are mostly about definining the inside
and outside, i.e.,
the boundaries, of legit play, often by reference to the original
culture of the books that
define the community. For instance, in the RP boards for the very
popular Warriors book
series, the rules define cat clans, naming, social hierarchies among
cats and clans, time
and location of settings, and sometimes even acceptable vocabularly
(drawn from the
books). The rules are, thus, drawn from a perceived whole, functional
world and merely
transported, with some tweakage for medium, to another location. A
huge amount of
energy goes into these rules constructions, and pretty much all the
players already know
the rules when they arrive to play, yet rule construction (and
testing) is part of the
playing. This is also trans-media work, dominated by the book series,
but appropriated
for play.

Okay, I've been having trouble with God-Moding. Some unnamed member(s)
have been making cats stronger than is possible, so here is a chart.
Anyone
breaking this chart will be politely reminded, and the post in
violation will be
ignored. And keep in mind- 'Beat" does not mean "Kill," and "Can"
does not
mean "will."

At a younger age, middle elementary students can be seen on the
playground at recess
enacting elements of TV shows (eg, Teen Titans, when it was hot) and
books that are
popular. Their play at the time makes for a nice developmental
trajectory into the
networked realm of the e-community, though I seriously doubt they see
that in any way,
shape, or form. On the playground, the game may actually function
differently, as kids
work out social hierarchies. Do you get the role you coveted, or are
you relegated to the
side kick role because you are out-ranked by the other kid. Online,
playing with people
you mostly don't know, social stakes are considerably lower, and the
negotiation of
power seems based upon RP competence. Does your story line get picked
up and played,
or does it die off. In this way, the player seeking status or power
must learn how to "play"
well, to entice an audience through, in this game, clever arrangement
of story narrative
that allows many others to join in and doesn't overly constrain them.

Flintpelt puts up this starter under the title, Finding a Home

Flinteye was looking for a home, and also a bit of company. Being a
young
loner, Flinteye had had nearly no contact with any other cat. "I
really need to
find a spot to rest." she muttered under her breath.

and gets 109 replies within a six day span.

When I look at the playground play of Warriors and then to the online
board play of
Warriors, one outstanding distinction is persistence of past moves,
made possible by
reification of the action through chronologically organized text.
Though, I'd have to say
even on the playground, girls will sometimes refer to what happened
yesterday, and have
been seen carrying a storyline over time, though MUCH less so than on
RP boards. THis
difference in dynamism and flow versus fixity and persistence is also
apparent in
characterization. When you kill off a character on the RP board,
that's it. S/he is dead; the
'rules' of the world don't include miraculous resurrections. On the
playground you can
switch out characters faster, and revive the dead, though with
perhaps more negotiation,
than online.