Re: [xmca] Happy New Year, dots of red wine and thoughts on the line of development

From: David Preiss (davidpreiss@uc.cl)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2007 - 19:17:22 PST

Joe,
But it is not psychology (at least mainstream psychology) where
Vygotsky exerts influence today, but out of psychology (education,
ergonomics, communication and so on). If a young scholar wants a
position in the USA and wants to do research in Vygotskian psychology
there is almost no place to look at there within psychology
departments (at least he comes up with a neuroscientific base for the
ZPD). I guess it was never different, though. It is curious that in
the spanish speaking world is quite the contrary: mainstream american
psychology is marginal and vygotskian psychology is at the core of
many departments and journals, which creates for us a different set
of complexities.
David

On Jan 3, 2007, at 5:26 PM, JAG wrote:

> It drives me crazy that I never get my own messages except as part of
> someone's response to them. This is, in part, what I mean by
> dialogicality.
>
> I know that Mind in Society didn't create - it rather unleashed an
> orgy of ZPD (almost as learning theory) studies - something we have
> discussed conversationally as well while gazing at wonder at some past
> SRCD programs.
>
> My quibble is not with Vygotsky, but with the various forms of his
> appropriation.
>
> I think that you said it quite nicely (although I'm not sure it was
> you since your name was misspelled as Michael Coles) on the cover of
> the Wertsch (1985 book)
>
> "This lucid account of Vygotsky's ideas makes clear why he is exerting
> such a great influence on contemporary psychology and education.
> Especially valuable is Wertsch's explanation of the links that existed
> between the social and humane sciences and the work of Bakhtin, the
> Formalists, the Prague School and many others. Reading the book is a
> terrific educational experience."
>
> PS. I am that red dot on the map where the WTC used to be, and part of
> a larger cluster of red dots where The United States, as we had
> imagined it, used to be.
>
> On 1/3/07, Mike Cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think the issue of "lines of development" Anne Nelley, is very
>> important.
>> It speaks directly to Yrjo's emphasis on the horizontal and vertical
>> "directions"
>> of development. After all, in his view learning and development
>> make contact
>> at the nexus of the two and it can be all over the map! Absent
>> from ANY of
>> this
>> discussion is evidence of cultural effects OF AND ON phylogeny,
>> because the
>> motives of development are of phylotenetic, as well as
>> ontogenetic and
>> cultural
>> historical origin.
>>
>> Joe. In that same book fr, 1978 there was also Vygotsky's article
>> on play!
>> I think you are absolutely right about the educationalist bias,
>> but Vygotsky
>> was, you
>> will excuse the expression, a tad educationalist biased himself, in
>> practice. Part of the
>> attractiveness of Yrjo's ideas and those of others like yourself
>> who have
>> worked in the
>> workplace (where that workspace was not a faculty member's
>> office!) is that
>> it makes
>> clear the lifespan potential of the theory. It is not by accident
>> that so
>> many members of
>> xmca are interested in play, so that domain is now a part of the
>> discourse
>> too.

> [...]

David Preiss, Ph.D.
Profesor Auxiliar / Assistant Professor

Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile
Escuela de Psicología
Av Vicuña Mackenna 4860
Macul, Santiago
Chile