Re: [xmca] Writing systems

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2007 - 17:50:13 PST

Ed--
Never mind off topic. We are always shifting topics. And I would be happy to
respond usefully to your query if I knew how!! The problem is that I do not
understand
what you wrote! I am GUESSING that what you are talking about has to do with
origins and
change. ("the mathematics one does is both circumscribed and supported by
the math one is
doing" coupled with expertise-- which I think of as a developmental
process). But I cannot get
from that to authoring a novel. And I am not even sure what the math example
is about. Can you
expand?

I am not sure, either, what David is after. My suggestions were intended to
focus on the origins
or graphic representations of ....... things.... ideas...... language (all
big issues in the history of writing).I picked my
suggestions for David thinking that what he was interested in the origins of
scripts of various kinds. Others have gone
to goody and watt on the consequences of writing, ong, etc. Havelock is an
interesting "half way" point because he makes
a big deal of the special properties of the alphabet and hits on Chinese
ideographic writing.

Perhaps you can expand? (And be ready for someone to comment on the article
of the month-for-discussion, although who knows!!)

mike