RE: [xmca] Zo-peds, roads, and Senseis

From: Michael Glassman (MGlassman@ehe.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 26 2006 - 08:31:26 PST

Andy,

This is an interesting, gossipy story, and honestly I am not sure how much truth there is to it. William James was attempting to move this action/empirical based "theory of mind" he had been working on with a number of people, including Peirce, and Dewey by correspondence - and I guess ideas were flying all around and coming from everywhere (a young George Mead was a tutor for James' children - and I can't believe Henry didn't have something to say over the family dinner table). James was very fond of Peirce and Peirce was having a terrible time professionally (because he had an affair with a married woman, or because he was so cantankerous, or because he was just smarter than everybody else and wasn't shy about it - I don't know). James asked Peirce to name the philosophy so they could have some type of common touch stone. Peirce, being Peirce, chose what had to be the most obscure name possible - using the term Pragmata - which is Greek for things that you do - in the very broad sense. In other words he called it Activity Theory except he did it in Greek! I have read in more than one place that this annoyed James no end (boy I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall for some of their conversations). But in a series of lectures at Harvard (arranged by James?) Peirce coalesced the idea around the word Pragmatism (actually, something a little closer to Pragmata I think) and James named his most famous book "On Pragmatism." But I think James was also worried about the mainstream applicability of the word, and he wanted to include his own ideas on the value of experimentation, so in the end he called his ideas radical empiricism (I'm not sure - was he calling it this before Peirce's famous lectures?) and his final book, his summing up, was called radical empiricism.

Dewey was looking to incorporate his own ideas in to the Pragmatic cannon - particularly the idea that Pragmatism was more than an empirical approach to the human condition, it was an experimental approach. In other words we weren't third person observers of what was happening, we were active participants determining the consequences to action. He called his approach Instrumental Pragmatism. After Dewey left the University of Chicago for New York Mead kept the faith. Herbert Blumer, who was student of and colleague to Mead later differentiated his theory as symbolic interactionism (I'm not sure why).

If you ask me, they are all versions of Pragmatism. Ironically, as obscure as the word was it has entered the American lexicon as a rather common word. The only trouble is I think nobody is quite sure what it means. Somewhere Peirce is laughing.

Michael