Re: [xmca] Zopeds and more competent peers

From: Ana Guenthner (anaguenthner@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2006 - 09:23:22 PST

learner in a group zpd tends to lead to deeper understanding would be
overrating the learner. I tend to wonder if deeper understanding would be
in the learners reflections towards compassion and empathy rather than
content.

The notion of assuming that the more capable learner performs "at a level
above what they are capable of outside the ZPD " as a general statement
somehow does not sit well with my thinking. Considering the cultural
historical aspect of a teacher not knowing the danger of simplifying and
deciding on the individual/group more capable and least capable based on an
inferior design of assessments.

The hot topic seems to be in the design of assessments at the moment. Any
views out there on the cultural historical impact on zoped and assessments?
Would appreciate a lead.