Re: [xmca] Empirical Evidence for ZPD

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2006 - 15:46:55 PST

This exchange with the careful readings you and Andy are providing is
fascinating Martin.
Like Andy, I need time to read and think before responding. In addition I
have forwarded
a couple of the key messages to David Bakhurst to see if he might be able to
shed light
on Ilyenkov/Lenin etc.

A general point that is worrying me in all of this discussion. LSV himself
changed
in his thinking between 1924 and 1934 as Minnick, Wertsch, and others have
emphasized.
Pedology of the Adolescent was one of a series of "Pedology of" books that
he wrote in the
mid-late 1920's. The Pedology of the adolescent came out in two parts, one
in 1929 one in
1930. The Psychology of Art was written earlier and in its first chapter you
can find a kind of
classical "base-superstructure" discussion that appears heavily influenced
by Plekhanov.

Given the chaos of printing, reading, writing, thinking,
politics/fear/perceived threats that is
co-evolving with the texts, it worries me when we slip into "Vygotsky saids"
without reference
to the chronology/context. Seems like we are on our own trying to find
formulations that we
find interpretable/appropriatable (and appropriate!) today.

You folks are certainly contributing to that effort.
mike