Re: [xmca] Interesting book: Review of 'Unlearning the Language of Conquest'

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@uga.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 02 2006 - 05:54:11 PST

hmmmmm....I've read that the great Mayan and Inca civilizations were not
quite so harmonious, and indeed were very brutal. Their treatment of the
fringe tribes, as I understand it, allowed the Spaniards to co-opt the
dominated tribes and helped them topple the mighty empires. Or so I've
read. My sense is that these societies were quite human, with all the
problems that have been part of the human experience elsewhere.

We've just bought a new house and are fixin' to move across town, so I
don't have much time to devote to this right now. I just did some skimming
of Wikipedia entries, which support the idea that for various reasons
(including the belief that Cortes was Quetzalkoatl, the Plumed Serpent),
marginalized tribes worked with the Spaniards in their conquest.
Peter