Re: [xmca] dialectical ideas

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2006 - 13:29:36 PST

The subject-object problem which is most relevant to research is the great
breakthrough that Vygotsky and his group made in their experimental
technique, the method of "double stimulation" and so on.
The point is that when we do scientific research, we are self-conscious
about the fact that as a scientist we are the subject; the experimental
situation or the participants are the object, the experiment is a system of
activity involving equally both subject and object. For Cultural Psychology
(etc.) the subject is part of the experiment, but this is known also to
"traditional" objectivist science. Science as still taught in universities
requires that the subject (i.e., the experimenter) remove themselves from
the experimental activity, separate themselves from the object (it is hard
to find a coherent way of expressing this nonsense), etc., so that the
object can be observed in itself. Cultural Psychology (etc) understands
that this is nonsense. The evidence sought can only refers to the activity
of the subject and object together. So Vygotsky & Co., devised all these
marvellous experimental set-ups where the result is self-consciously
expressed in terms subject-object activity, rather than mystified in the
form of structures reified as properties of the object alone.
This does not mean, in my opinion, that Cultural Psychology is immune from
the kind of errors (eg anthropologists or zoologists who massively
intervene in an ecosystem they claim to observe and report what is
basically a reflection of themselves in the mirror of their experimental
object, mistaking that image of the subject for an object in itself)
resulting from failure to isolate the aspects of the experimental
collaboration which are attributed to the subject on one hand and the
object on the other. The point is to be self-conscious about
experimentation as collaboration, aware of the relationship.
One implication of this observation is that ZPD is of course a reification
of an aspect of subject-object collaboration as if it were a property of
the object (e.g.the child-participant). Like most reifications, there is a
material basis for it, but I think Mike made the point very well in his
Cultural Psychology book somewhere, that a ZPD is in relation to a social
position, but simply in the novice.
So realisation that subject and object mutually define one another (I think
Wolff-Michael put it very well, it's very difficult to express this
relation perfectly in a few words), does not rule out evidence-based
science, but it does rule out the idea of experience which can be reified
as simply facts, i.e., properties of the objective world, rather than the
story of particular interventions by a scientist, with regular implications
relevant to further interventions.
So people seeking empirical evidence for the validity of the ZPD as a
concept in pedagogy will collect stories of interventions in a person's
learning by "representatives" of a society (community of practice or
whatever) where evidence can be gathered that the intervention brought
about a learning development. A complex requirement, but surely not more
problematic than many other ideas about Mind. Almost every one of Marx's
Theses on Feuerbach is talking about this issue.
Andy