RE: [xmca] Empirical Evidence for ZPD

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2006 - 13:22:05 PST

Big question Michael.
See http://www.marxists.org/archive/lektorsky/subject-object/index.htm for
a book-length answer from Lektorsky.

Subject and object are always two distinct entities, but the subject (some
self-conscious system of activity) arises out of some definite, objective
system of activity when it becomes self-conscious, and the activity then
constitutes (in AN Leontyev's words) the "intertraffic" between subject and
object. The activity of the subject then is to objectify itself in the
object, giving its activities material forms deposited in the objective
world around it, vested with meanings by which the subject
"institutionalises" itself.

So in the beginning there is no distinction, because the relevant system of
activity has not yet become self-conscious, and in the end there is no
distinction because the subject has "naturalised" its activity and become
indistinguishable from the object. These are of course both tendencies, and
not absolute truths, and the whole life of a subject exists between these
two poles.

Andy