RE: [xmca] agency as product?

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2006 - 01:54:58 PST

Renee,

Rightly or wrongly, when I mention "postmodernists" in contrast to
structuralists, poststructuralists, third wave feminists (and
deconstructionists), I mean the kind of writers I don't bother to read in
detail let alone keep on my bookshelf, but the kind of ideas I am referring
to are talking about consumer choice (eg cable TV, customised mobile
phones, etc.) as allowing the person to "exercise agency" and the way
people can write their own biographies nowadays. I.e., reflecting popular
consciousness, uncritically. I think Eric was referring to this kind of
writing in some of his remarks. The other currents are the significant ones.

Althusser uses the term "agency" to mean agency in the sense that an
organism is the agent for the spread of an infectious disease. This is a
legitimate idea, but as I read him, this leaves no room for "agency" in the
sense I understand it - self-determination or sovereignty, that is, having
a critical voice in the social relations of which one is a part. I think
Althusser's line is deadly, but it raises a challenge which needs to be met.

Foucault is more ambiguous, but his most famous works have the same effect.
I understand that his later works depart form this, returning to a
philosophy of the subject, and there is room for agency in the normal sense
of the word in these later works. Lois McNay is my teacher on this
question. Read her, not me.

I found Chris Weedon's "Feminist Practice & Poststructuralist Theory" a
really good, readable and not-too-long introduction to the theory which
explains why agency is ruled out by poststructuralism from someone who
supports this position.

The collection "Feminist Contentions" has a fascinating debate between
Judith Butler and other third-wave feminists. In her first piece Butler
leaves no room for agency at all. When challenged by another writer, she
admits that deconstruction as a practice does in fact allow for agency by
*subverting* the narratives which otherwise entrap people. I would
recommend this book.

I think Dorothy Holland et al's "Identity and Agency in Cultural Worlds" is
a really fine book; the first article gives a theoretical overview which
would give you what you want from a CHAT perspective. She talks of a "third
way" between culturalism and constructivism. Kevin MacDonald's "Struggles
for Subjectivity" is interesting too.

Caroline Williams' "Contemporary French Philosophy. Modernity and the
Persistence of the Subject" is interesting from a completely different
perspective.

he, he ... very few males writing on this subject. :-)

Andy

At 10:17 AM 15/11/2006 +0100, you wrote:
>Andy,
>
>Could you give an example please of gross misuse of the idea of agency by
>postmodernists? I am trying to develop better understandings of various
>approaches(post-modern, post-structural, neo-Marxist and of course CHAT)and
>how they (might) provide analytical tools for social justice work, so it
>would be interesting to see a (apparently?) critical view of one of them.
>
>Renee

  Andy Blunden : http://home.mira.net/~andy/ tel (H) +61 3 9380 9435, AIM
identity: AndyMarxists mobile 0409 358 651