[xmca] fiddle shaped tables

From: ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org
Date: Mon Nov 13 2006 - 06:50:36 PST

David:

you wrote,

So I don't agree that it requires a high level of development of abstract
processing to call a fiddle- shaped table a "fiddle". I would say that's a
rather Piagetian way to put it: development first, and then learning.

I geuss you misunderstood me. I was making the claim regarding the
decoding of having someone else call a table a "fiddle". Not of the actual
labeling of a table as a fiddle. That indeed is a Vygotskian idea that a
child will place abstract thought into concrete applications. Davydov
emphasizes that elementary teaching is having the child "rise to the level
of concrete" thinking.

my thinking any clearer?
eric