Mao & praxis Re: [xmca] Geertz and praxis for us too

From: Tony Whitson (twhitson@UDel.Edu)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2006 - 07:51:50 PST

Actually, Mao was attempting to render Marxist theory in a way that would
be accessible. His essay "On Practice" ["Shijian Luen" - could be
translated "On Praxis"]. The English is at
http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/mao/selected-works/volume-1/mswv1_16.htm
& that site would have it in many other languages as well.

This is one of the essays that everybody in China studied during the
Cultural Revolution. I bet many knew it almost by heart. When Mao wrote
for the masses, he was very deliberate about limiting the vocabulary so
that everyone could read it (which was a good thing for second-year
students of Chinese in places like the US!); but he doesn't shy away from
presenting concepts like "social praxis" in a theoretically rich way.

As I recall the standard English version of the slogan (which I don't see
now, and which might actually be not from this text itself):

"Where do correct ideas come from? From social practice, and from nowhere
else."

This was pretty straightforward Marxism, against Hegelian or other
idealisms.