Re: [xmca] Re: Abraham Lincoln Brigades in Second Life

From: Jay Lemke (jaylemke@umich.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 04 2006 - 15:32:53 PST

When I read the interesting thoughts about a Spanish Civil War
mini-enclave in SecondLife, I thought it an interesting idea, but
also wondered if it might be too peaceful to represent the reality,
or even an sufficient virtuality. You can have wars and
assassinations in 2ndlife, but only in designated zones. Another
middle-class fantasy, perhaps, but in an online universe where
ANYTHING is possible, people like a little control over their
fantasies, or at least their outer limits.

I deleted the post, but I think there was some confusion between EVE
Online, the out-in-the-galaxy space wars (and cultures, and
economics) game, and EVE as a shortcode for Everquest, another
fantasy-world (no space travel that I know of) online.

It might be interesting to see how history would turn out in these
alternate realities if, insteading of replaying one version or
another of the Civil War, people just set up the factions, which
might attract their proponents today as in the last century
(believers or perverse role-players), and see what happens?

As to "thick description," it's not really meant to be just
description, but rather interpretive accounts that bridge between the
participant perspective and the observer perspective. Savvy
anthropologists like Geertz know/knew very well that ethnography was
never politically or morally neutral, and Geertz' rejection of
abstract theorizing in the field was meant as a move towards
something more like praxis, a rising to the concrete where what
matters is what people do to make and change their lives in terms of
what things mean to them. Where, after all, do correct ideas come
from, if not from the people?

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor