RE: [xmca] Unbelievable - & Spanish

From: Stetsenko, Anna (AStetsenko@gc.cuny.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2006 - 17:05:34 PDT

Michael, there is a curious contradiction in what you are saying -- because "fully thinking dialectically" (your expressions) is impossible by the very nature of what dialectics takes thinking to be -- positing it as a process that can never be complete, full, terminal in any sense. Instead, dialectical thinking presupposes that there is always a next step, and a new height, however 'full' one's thinking is. Vygotsky at least was fully aware of this, by the way, as is clear from many of his works, including the 'Crisis' (where he is extremely self-critical and self-reflective as to inclompleteness of his own thinking and where he predicts that his own ideas will have to be challenged in the future; see last passage of this work).

And how about this, from Vygotsky:
1. one can certainly think without words
2. the ability to think without words is only given by the words.

pretty dialectical, I'm thinking (though not fully dialectically).
AS