Re: [xmca] Edge forward

From: Tony Whitson (twhitson@UDel.Edu)
Date: Sat Sep 23 2006 - 08:42:27 PDT

This is interesting.
What do you suppose are the chances of the military regime itself
refraining from wiretapping?
This is like the criminal investigation of spying by the management of
Hewlitt-Packard in the US, which has just resulted in the resignation of
its top executive.
Are we looking at a real ban on wiretapping? or just assertion of a state
monopoly on wiretapping?

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006, Phil Chappell wrote:

> One positive outcome of a military takeover. More as they are announced...
>
> CDRM bans wiretapping
>

> The Council for Democratic Reform under Constitutional Monarchy Saturday
> imposed a ban on wiretapping and threatened to revoke the concessions of
> telecoms operators caught eavesdropping, its spokesman said.
>
> "It's the military coup leaders' order that wiretapping is banned and anyone
> -- wiretappers, masterminds, operators -- would face the harshest punishment
> of fines and jail terms," said Lieutenant General Palangoon Klaharn.
>
> "The operator will face the most serious punishment, including the revocation
> of the concession."
>
> A telecom company founded and later sold by ousted premier Thaksin
> Shinawatra, Advanced Info Service, is Thailand's largest mobile phone
> operator and controls more than 51 percent of the 33-million-user market.
>
> Palangoon said the ban, effective immediately, did not target any particular
> operator and was in line with international standards.
>
> Previously wiretapping was legal only for police who obtained a court order
> or for the nation's intelligence

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education
NEWARK DE 19716