Re: [xmca] wikis, textbooks, developing countries, impoverished US schools

From: Tony Whitson (twhitson@UDel.Edu)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2006 - 17:05:56 PDT

Carol,
Yes, these surely are problems.
There are some people making an effort: for example, the $100 computer
that does not require an electricity source (there's a hand crack to
charge a battery). See:
http://www.newscientisttech.com/article/dn8338

I have a Canadian friend who developed a program for retooling discarded
old-version computers to run on Linux, so the whole package would be much
less expensive. He was meeting with a VP of an African country about them
using it. I'm told that Micro$oft swooped in and preempted that with some
sweet deal for the government.

I think our public schools systems should make a social choice to
standardize on Linux and JUST SAY NO to the never-ending path of continual
obsolesence and upgrading on Micro$soft systems. If we did that, we could
do everything that we need to do for educational purposes on much less
expensive systems, and the developing of such a market would create a
demand for reasonable systems economically available to other populations
as well, outside of schools.

BTW, the $100-laptop program makes its machines available to geographic
areas that commit to 100% distribution to the school children of that
area.

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education
NEWARK DE 19716