Re: [xmca] Invitation to a wedding.

From: Tony Whitson (twhitson@UDel.Edu)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2006 - 18:05:18 PDT

Here's a fun one:
http://www.topeuro.co.uk/blagger/the_duel.html
For this one your browser needs to be able to play flash media.
There are lots of other versions in different file formats (including wav
& midi, that can be played by anyone on windows). These are easily found
through web searching

The video on this one is cute, although a bit mixed up (Deliverance &
Dukes of Hazard); and contrary to the caption, I think that's Burt
Reynolds, not Jack Nicholson.

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Mike Cole wrote:

> Well now, if someone could post access to the dueling banjoes piece, I would
> be more than happy to discuss.
> I would claim that (in addition to being just plain great music), it is:
>
> 1. A TERRIFIC metaphor for Arthur Jensen-style theories of mental
> retardation and what is wrong with them
> 2. A nice way to think about development/intelligence.
> 3. A very useful medium, in conjuction with the film itself, of theories of
> power, ethnocentricism, urban chauvinism,
> and a lot of other repugnant, but interesting, social phenomena.
>
> But first, who among us can make the music available for joint attention,
> and, who knows, some intersubjectivity
> (without necessary agreement, passim professor matusov)
> mike
>
> On 8/28/06, Tony Whitson <twhitson@udel.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Phil Chappell wrote:
>>
>> > Actually I had the "Duelling Banjoes" song in mind, which, despite its
>> name, is a wonderful bluegrass duet.
>> >
>> > Phil
>>
>> Maybe so, but it's salience for many is the scene in DELIVERANCE.
>> So who's who in that scencario, as between LSV & SFL?
>> Maybe context does influence meaning...

>> process of bringing systemic functional linguistics and activity theory
>> into
>> productive juxtaposition. What I have in mind is more of an engagement,
>> possibly leading to a wedding -- a marriage in which two complement each
>> other, mutually develop, and retain their differences. Attached are two
>> papers in pdf form to further the discussion.

>> Tony Whitson
>> UD School of Education
>> NEWARK DE 19716
>>
>> twhitson@udel.edu