Re: [xmca] lanlguage and systemic change

From: Emily Duvall (duvalleg@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2006 - 18:33:58 PDT

Hi Mike, bb, and All,
Let me explain a little more and see if it makes sense.. I could be in
my own world... at this point in doctoral work everything seems related
to my work... :-)
 Under NCLB schools must demonstrate adequate yearly progress (AYP) and
this is done by using the state mandated, standardized, high stakes
assessment scores achieved by students. However, for children with
disabilities, for whom learning and development may progress in ways
that vary in terms of pace, depth and degree relative to "regular ed"
standards of learning, progress may be hidden. In a dynamic assessment -
in this case a Dynamic Standard of Learning Assessment developed for 3rd
grade reading using a hierarchical model of graduated prompts in the
learning within the test approach - progress may be revealed as the
assessment is more sensitive to the budding areas of development rather
than merely the attainment of (or not) a passing score. There are some
interesting data results... data for teachers as they develop
instruction, data that reveals progress relative to regular ed (the DSLA
redesigns existing assessments) for parents, data that reveals progress
for schools and districts when students not delayed or disabled enough
to take alternate exams must take the regular ed exams with
accommodations (which don't actually help much if you don't know the
material yet). So the assessment becomes intertwined with a variety of
school-based education activities.
The collaborative nature of dynamic assessment, however, goes against
the grain of the autonomous individual which has long been the goal in
special education as well as regular education. And while we'd perhaps
like to think of our classrooms as communities, the nature of the
testing suggests that it is a room full of individuals who have sucked
up and can spit out the same answers.
The individual must be able to demonstrate their knowledge (banked or
otherwise) as if they existed in a vacuum.
The teacher who has taught a particular group THAT year receives the
thumbs up or down relative to the demonstration of aquired knowledge...
as if students learned in a vacuum.
So my question is, do our testing practices reflect a particular view of
the individual/collective relation and is there a hope, perhaps through
such activities as dynamic assessment, that by parlaying with attractive
data we can shift the way we think about democratic education practices?
I know I'm wishful, but does the connection make sense?
~ Em