Re: [xmca] On a lighter notr: Railroad gauge (A very cultural-historical example)

From: Beth Ferholt (bferholt@ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2006 - 09:06:08 PDT

I think Victor Turner is saying something like this in From Ritual to
Theatre: The Human Seriousness of play -- the idea, from Dilthey,
that experience is not only 'living through', but also 'thinking
back', as well as 'wishing forward'. Bruner uses this from Turner
when he writes, in Acts of Meaning, about the Sakuntala of Sanskrit
literature as an example of a narrative that moves from disharmony to
resolution and then concludes with disharmony again. (I think this
is where he is saying that Kenneth Burke's rhetoric of narrative is
not universal, for those of you who followed last winter's
Mediational Theories of Mind class.)
I've been thinking about this because, in our Narnia Playworld
project, prolepsis was central: every time we looked back on the
past, from the future, all we saw was that the future had been
glimpsed from the past, and that if it hadn't been, then none of what
took place could have taken place.
Beth