Re: [xmca] Situated cognition vs. Socio-cultural theory

From: JAG (joe.glick@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2006 - 17:55:14 PDT

Another lost voice heard from:

I think that I get the gist of Mary's issue - for me, for example, the
Ed Hutchins of Cognition in the Wild - is,more within the cognitivist
situated cogntiion area - and, although he uses many of the notions of
socio-cultural theory - e.g. mediational tools, charts, etc.. he
places a lot of emphasis on the relation of Cognition in the Wild to
tamer cognitive models - and where people come in, they come in not as
part of the inter to intra personal trajectory - but as constituent
parts of an actively functioning, interdependent distributed whole. So
he is not Vygotsky - and where the socio-cultural tradition transcends
Vygotsky I don't think it does so it quite in Hutchins' terms.