Re: [xmca] Situated cognition vs. Socio-cultural theory

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@uga.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 12:02:25 PDT

An interesting, if frustrating, illustration comes with an article I
published in MCA in 1998, Thinking and Speech and Protocol Analysis, which
theorized how protocol analysis can be repurposed from its cognitive roots
to a sociocultural perspective. Mike invited Ericcson and Simon, my main
points of departure, to write a response, which struck me as surprisingly
defensive and antagonistic, especially given how hard I tried to honor
their ideas while disagreeing with them. I'll attach my paper, but you'll
have to find an old copy of MCA to get the response. p