RE: [xmca] Kevin's paper for discussion

From: O'Connor, Kevin (kevin.oconnor@rochester.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2006 - 21:05:14 PDT

Hi all,
I’ve been following the discussion thus far with great interest and trying to find the time for thoughtful responses – difficult these days at the end of a very intense summer term (which ends this week, thankfully!).

I’ll write more tomorrow morning, but wanted to briefly clarify one issue raised in bb’s message, regarding the phrase on p.62, i.e., “the mutual production of identities and contexts for activity…” My phrasing here was unclear, and my meaning ambiguous as a result. This can be read as “the mutual production of identities and contexts-for-activity…” That is, I agree with the proposed rephrasing as “the mutual production of identities and contexts THROUGH activity,” as well as with the claim that “people make contexts as contexts make people.” I hope this clarifies that I don’t see my position as tending towards cultural or historical reductionism (and I would add that I don’t reject the relevance of biological factors, though I don’t focus on these in my work). My purposes in bringing up the issue of “failure” in this paper were fairly specific and limited – I think that some approaches to situated learning have an inadequate account of failure (usually implicit, since it’s rarely explicitly addressed), and that this has resulted in what I see as an incomplete analysis of learning.

I appreciate everyone’s comments, and will add more tomorrow.

Kevin