Re: [xmca] Kevin's paper for discussion

From: Steve Gabosch (sgabosch@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 23:17:28 PDT

This tension between the Consortium group and the Institute school
students - the struggle over who should reveal what information to
who in the process of building the race cars - seems to touch on
quite a hornet's nest of conflicts of interest, squabbling over
access to resources, class differences between the students, etc. I
liked the use of the techniques of linguistic anthropology to analyze
the conversations and try to drive some of these tensions out. I
have a question. I did not fully grasp how Kevin used the
distinction between "presupposing indexicality" and "entailing
indexicality" in his analysis of the micro truck project.

- Steve