[xmca] something magical

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2006 - 22:26:54 PDT

Mike Cole said:
>[snip]
>This "something magical" certainly is very important in our afterschool
>work. It includes not only the experience and good will of those involved,
>but also strong emotional bonds that grow between undergrads, kids and
>staff. -- almost a kind of emotional flow.

Mike, this "something magical" seems to be the emotional hit that both
learner and teacher get when the learner makes a breakthrough in learning
and development, doesn't it? I remember hearing stuff in the media which
went to the neurological basis of how emotions reinforce learning, and I
understand it is a regular part of sports coaching nowadays to deliberately
manipulate the emotional experiences of performers when they do a thing
right or do it wrong supposedly to bring about neurological changes which
will attract or repel repetitions of the action.

It always seemed to me that in our theory of the use of artefacts this
emotional loading tends to be overlooked, and yet that is surely exactly
what is magical?

Andy