Re: [xmca] bruner, chaiklin, and the word

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2006 - 21:31:01 PDT

OK, I have taken Mike's advice and read Seth's article, Paley's splendid
piece on Franklin and the blocks, and Althea's analysis, and need to see if
I can understand the differences at issue ...

The thing that troubled me a little in reading Seth's very good article was
what seemed to me an over-emphasis on the orchestration of pedagogy towards
specific achievement of stages in overall development. My understanding of
ZPD (which I think I learnt from Lois Holzman's "revolutionary scientist"
book which I read after "Thinking and Speaking") was simpler: a learner can
do something with help from another that they can't do alone. This is very
likely going to be performed in a play-situation or in some situation where
the child can be encouraged to go beyond themselves so to speak, a
situation where there is some motivation other than compliance with the
wishes of the teacher. This newly-acquired ability in a necessarily limited
and also arbitrarily chosen skill can then kind of "grow over" across a
broad range of tasks, providing a kind of internal scaffolding and thereby
facilitates a comprehensive development.

That was my understanding. I think development is a universal process which
can only exist in and through particulars. You can't have (universal)
development other than by and through (particular) learning. It is the
learning where a child surprisingly goes 'beyond themselves' which has that
special importance. I found the over-emphasis on levels and mental age
etc., a little troubling, though of course I can see how essential these
concepts are for planning by teachers and administrators.

Don't know if that helps at all.

Andy