Re: [xmca] Social situation, zpd and Franklin

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2006 - 12:09:01 PDT

You introduce a lot of important issues into the discussion, David. Clearly
everyone should
I am struggling
with the previously existing poliphony of voices concerning learnng and
development and the
question of whether and if so when it makes sense to believe that play can
create a zone of
proximal development (where issues of learning and development bring another
round of difficulties).

When you write: Vygotsky (and sociocultural theory more generally) as
struggling between
two basic metaphorical interpretations.... I come away wondering what you
mean about struggling
between. Here, an echo of Lois' comment yesterday, I have always thought of
the processes under
discussion as two sides of a single coin in dialectical relationship to each
other. On the one hand, the
active subject must operate on the world using "auxiliary means" by means of
which the problematic
situation is transformed and on the other hand must appropriate those means
in the act of transformaion.
Do transformation and discontinuity stand in opposition to each other in
some way as you seem to imply below?

The construction metaphor, most often
associated with Piaget-inspired psychological constructivism (e.g., von
Glasersfeld), sees cognitive structures as developing and maturing through
a TRANSFORMATIVE process. The enculturational metaphor, reflected in, say,
Leont'ev's notion of appropriation, sees a DISCONTINUITY between prior
structures and new ones (as Newman, Griffin, & Cole pointed out in The
Construction Zone).

I am unclear here.

The questions you raise about LSV's use of imitation also caught my
attention. It has taken me a very long time to get at all interested in the
issue of imitation, but it is currently one of THE hot topics in research on
the nature and presence of culture in chimpanzee social groups (culture is
defined in this literature as presence of behavioral patterns across
generations achieved by a mechanism of social learning-- but what is that
mechanism, and here is where imitation comes in. The following indicates the
distinctions currently in fashion:

This brings us to the question of how cognition and culture are related
among non-human primates.

Attempts to answer this question have focused on the question of the
cognitive mechanisms of social learning. The general answer given is that
social learning requires some form of mimesis broadly interpreted as a
process in which the behavior of one individual comes to be like another
through some form of contact. But this broad an understanding of mimesis is
little more than restating what one means by a social tradition, since many
different processes can lead to behavioral conformity. Consequently, the
task of further specifying the processes of mimesis has garnered the bulk of
scholarly attention (Byrne, 2002; Metzoff & Prinz, 2002; Tomasello &
Rakoczy, 2003; Valsiner, 2000; Whitten, 2000).

At the most elementary level, groups of the same species living in different
locales may behave differently from each other, but in conformity with each
other, because of differences in their local ecology. Each animal may be
discovering the solution for itself, by this account.

In addition, situations may arise when members of a group are attracted to
the location of conspecifics and, on their own, learn the behaviors that
others have learned in the same circumstances. For example, they may learn
that grubs are located in the area, and learn to find the grubs and eat
them, without any special orientation to the behavior of others. This source
of social learning is termed stimulus* enhancement*.

A slightly more complex form of social influence is referred to as *emulation
learning*, which occurs when, for instance, an infant chimpanzee observes
its mother turn over a log and sees that there are grubs under the log.
However, in such cases, the infant is not focused on the goal-directed
intentions (strategies) of the mother, but the infant learns something about
objects in the environment and can then, itself, learn about attaining such
objects.

The most complex (and most controversial) claims about the source of
acquiring social traditions in non-human primates are *imitation*, when the
infant attempts to copy the goal-directed strategies of the mother. There is
as yet no consensus on whether non-human primates raised in the wild engage
in this form of mimesis (Byrne, 2002).

Sorry about the wobbly font.

LSV appears to go further to link imitation to conceptual understanding that
will support success in
copying goal directed actions. I cannot imitate a calculus teacher teaching
calculus. My grand daughter
stuggles to "follow directions" in a closely constrained effort to work
through an elementary
algebra problem.... she tries to "imitate" the sequence of actions, she
understands some of the
principles required, but not enough to be able to do it on her own. Over
succeeding sessions, with
varied examples, the range of problems she can solve by "imitating" what I
am doing expands and the amount of filling in I have to do decreases. If she
continues to improve, it will not be long before our roles are reversed.
Zoped? Imitation?

Franklin cannot remember 5 seconds after he has driven his friends from the
block corner what he has
done. He hotly denies Vivian's verbal description. She acts it out. NOW he
can remember!! Not only
can he remember, he can play Franklin being a social cooperative child in
the block corner" Imitation?
Zoped?
mike