Re: [xmca] 2007 AERA Proposal Submission System is open :)

From: Lois Holzman (lholzman@eastsideinstitute.org)
Date: Sat Jun 03 2006 - 17:37:37 PDT

Thanks for asking, Mike.

I have to read Seth's article and your examples, including Franklin's play.
Have been dealing with hip replacement surgery (partner's) and broken
implants (mine) and work-related events til now. I think I can carve out
time to be thoughtful in my response in a day or so.

Right now, I'll just say that how I understand learning leading development
is actually as a way to get past either/or. In Lev Vygotsky: Revolutionary
Scientist (1993) Newman and I ask what Vygotsky could have meant by learning
leading development. It seems doubtful that he meant leads to express a
temporal or linear 'in advance of' given the totality of his work in which
dialectical unity is central. So we decide/interpret/conclude that he means
to give expression to the dialectical unity of learning-leading-development
in which one is not the cause but the historical bicondition for the other,
not unlike his search for method being simultaneously tool-and-result, and
not unlike his understanding of thought being completed in the word. So the
unity relationship of learning and development can be seen as also one of
completion in this sense‹learning completes development while development
completes learning, though they do not complete each other in the same way.

Again, I'll return to this with more thought soon.

Lois