Re: [xmca] Did Franklin Participate in a Zoped?

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (ana@zmajcenter.org)
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 04:13:53 PDT

Hi Althea and all,
I just wanted to make a small comment on this particular quote from your
posting:
if learning occurs
"... /that if learning occurs
when a child receives varied methods of assistance through joint
activity, then there is evidence of maturing psychological functions…
and therefore, evidence of zones of proximal development/."

I have always understood Vygotsky to say that development of "higher
psychological functions" (such as: memory, reasoning, will, etc) is not
a type of process which can be looked upon as "MATURATION" or simple
"GROWTH", but that it always happens through *restructuring the
relationships between different psychological functions*. In light of
that, the social interactive phase of development of either a particular
knowledge (math, history, science) or skill, or of the whole person, is
the starting phase in setting the blueprint (relationships, rules,
operations) for a new organization of psychological processes of what is
to become a new psychological function (knowledge, skill) or a new
psychological "stage" of development.
In that light, a child does not "receive various methods of assistance"
- but instead, enters into a new interactive system of relationships and
processes. Joint activity is one of the ways that child can enter,
explore and practice this new world in which there are new
objects/objectives, new relationships and new rules. Psychological
functions are not maturing in the zone of proximal development, they are
reorganizing and creating possibilities for new psychological functions,
i.e. new psychological acts and activities.

Ana

Ana Marjanovic'-Shane,Ph.D.

151 W. Tulpehocken St.

Philadelphia, PA 19144