Re: [xmca] uncertainites

From: David H Kirshner (dkirsh@lsu.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2006 - 22:32:50 PDT

Thanks, Steve.

I take the connectionist analysis a bit further, including in the chimera
of social processes masquerading as individual mentality the whole realm of
what we call "personal thought." It's easier to deal with the anomaly of
rational discourse as a specialized social code than it is to try to
explain the obviously self-serving character of most everyday
explanation/interpretation as some kind of deflected veridical logic.

Regarding your reference to "the usual reductionist traditions in classical
science," perhaps I took it the wrong way. I thought you were using
reductionist as a modifier for all current science. If what you were doing
was demarcating a specific type of science, then I would agree that
connectionism might well be a non-reductionist species--though I don't
think it's a "romantic science" either. If John St. Julien is lurking,
perhaps he'll chime in on this point.

David

                      Steve Gabosch
                      <sgabosch who-is-at comcast To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity"
                      .net> <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
                      Sent by: cc: (bcc: David H Kirshner/dkirsh/LSU)
                      xmca-bounces who-is-at webe Subject: Re: [xmca] uncertainites
                      r.ucsd.edu

                      04/26/2006 09:13
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "eXtended Mind,
                      Culture,
                      Activity"

David, thanks for your post. I have a
question. I found the passage from Carl Bereiter
quoting Anna Harres quite thought-provoking,
thank you for that. I now have two more
interesting thinkers to add to the ever-growing
list I get from CHAT, xmca, etc. The idea that
personal "rationality" is not fundamentally "rule
based" - but is rather an internalization of
complex, often contradictory social processes -
seems to me to be the right place to start. I
like the way these authors take this idea to the
next level, as suggested in the quote, seeing a
person's "logic" not as a set of abstract rules,
but as ongoing concrete social justifications and
public legitimizations of behavior, complete with
arguments about conformance (or non-conformance
when arguing against someone) to accepted
standards and socially valid procedures and
rules. My take on this in everyday terms is to
see human individuals as not being logical
computers, but clever, political creatures.

Reductionism, to be sure, is a vastly powerful
tool of observation and generalization, no doubt
whatsoever. It is exceedingly useful in the
natural sciences, and the social sciences as
well, although it must be used more carefully in
the latter because of the high levels of
complexity and countless instances of "downward
causation" found in human affairs. But in this
case, in the "rational/rationale" question, as
Mike puts it, how is Harres' description of what
I characterize as the essentially political
rather than rule-based character of personal rationality "reductionist?"

- Steve

At 09:45 AM 4/25/2006 -0500, David Kirshner wrote:

>Steve, but reductionist science still can make a contribution at the level
>of material constraints on cognition. In his account of connectionism,
>Bereiter (1991) nicely reconciles the linear experience of rule following
>and rationality with the massively parallel correlation of input and
output
>features as conceived in connectionist theory:
>

>Harré's theory about the social nature of rationality (1979, 1984)
provides
>an illuminating way to think about ... how the classical rule-based view
>relates to cognition. When people try to give a retrospective report of
>their mental processes, what they tend to do instead is provide a
>justification of their actions (Nisbett & Ross, 1980). Rationality,
>according to Harré, originates in this essentially social process of
>justification. What we call logical reasoning, and attribute to the
>workings of the individual mind, is actually a public reconstruction meant
>to legitimate a conclusion by showing that it can be derived by procedures
>recognized as valid....
> Personal rationality, according to Harré (1984), results from
turning
>the social process of justification inward upon one’s own thoughts.
Coming
> [...]
>uncertainty, founded on ignorance, which seems to
>make an arbitrary choice among many different and
>conflicting possible decisions, shows precisely
>by this that it is not free, that it is
>controlled by the very object it should itself
>control. Freedom therefore consists in the
>control over ourselves and over external nature,
>a control founded on knowledge of natural
>necessity; it is therefore necessarily a product
>of historical development. The first men who
>separated themselves from the animal kingdom were
>in all essentials as unfree as the animals
>themselves, but each step forward in the field of
>culture was a step towards freedom."
>
>Engels continues with an interesting discussion
>of humankind first discovering how to make fire
>from friction, and then thousands of years later,
>learning how to make friction from fire, as in the steam engine.
>
>Also, here is a useful url to some relevant Hegel
>on this question of freedom and necessity, likely
>provided by our own Andy Blunden. The above
>Hegel quote from Engels can be found in this section.
>http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/works/sl/slactual.htm
>

>- Steve

>At 02:19 PM 4/23/2006 -0400, Martin Packer wrote:
> >Judy, Ana,
> >
> >I read Luria, as cited by Mike, perhaps a little differently:
> >
> >"Many observations support our view that the consideration of the
>voluntary
> >act as accomplished by "will-power" is a myth and that the human cannot
by
> >direct force control his behavior any more than "a shadow can carry
>stones".
> >
> >I'd place emphasis on Luria's word 'direct.' I think he was saying that
we
> >cannot control our behavior simply by willing ourselves to do something
> >(following from a decision reached by means of thought or otherwise).
> >Rather, we have to transform our environment, so that it then enables
(or
> >constrains!) the behavior we wish to perform. (I'm not sure I think this
>is
> >always the case, but I'm sure it often is.) In a sense, then, the
> >environment 'causes' our behavior. But since it is we who arranged the
> >environment, this causality is under our control. And once again
>individual
> >action is mediated by public artifacts.
> >
> >If a teacher wants children to behave differently in the classroom,
> >requesting or demanding that they do so has little effect. But change
the
> >way the classroom is organized...
> >
> >Martin
> >
> >On 4/23/06 12:45 PM, "Ana Marjanovic-Shane" <ana@zmajcenter.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Dear Judy,
> > > so glad to hear from you! Maybe we are using the word "free" in a
> > > different sense.
> > > Let's turn your example upside down. What about the torturer?? One:
can