[xmca] talk about uncertainties!

From: bb (xmca-whoever@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2006 - 07:04:40 PDT

"Learning leads development" seems causal, while not deterministic in any
absolute sense. But pushed against the wall, i'd have to admit only to
things/events/development being co-relational, in terms of what preceeds what
in some degree of most of the time. Triadic discourse sometimes displays
what seems to be a high degree of determinancy. Consider this thought
experiment:

I: What is the capital of Washington?
R: Seattle
E/I: WRONG. What is the capital of Washington?

[In many situations, there is a very small chance -- arguably much lower
probability than the first reponse -- that "Seattle" will be offered again,
but this is situationally dependent, eg. If setting up for a joke, the
probability of co-occurance could be quite high]

Clap sequences that first grade teachers use to create joint attention seem
causal, but only after students learn the script:

I: clap clap.. clap clap clap
R: clap clap

Coming from kindergarten, in the first days of first grade, many children
respond instead the following way, because their kindergarten teacher asks
them to repeat what she claps:

I: clap clap.. clap clap clap
R: clap clap.. clap clap clap

And also consider this applause for Don's clever uncertainties.

bb