RE: [xmca] Sumamrizing, software for qualitative analysis of video

From: David Preiss (davidpreiss@puc.cl)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2006 - 08:47:03 PDT

So, to summarize, it seems there are three software for qualitative analysis
of digital video available that people like:

Transana. Free. www.transana.org

The Observer. By Noldus. More than 5000 bucks a license www.noldus.com

Studiocode. More than 7000 bucks a license. http://www.studiocodegroup.com/

There is also Qualrus but it has not been mentioned in this list:
http://www.ideaworks.com/Qualrus.shtml This one costs 149 bucks. Very cheap.

It would be nice to learn what could make the thousands bucks difference
worthwhile. So, the question that arises is whether people that have really
used them think the price difference makes a scientific difference. Some
technical differences are mentioned in the same links I have put together.
There are others tools that, so it seems, are better for text that for video
such as Atlas.Ti and Nvivo. Info about them all can be found here
http://www.content-analysis.de/qualitative.html

Thanks to everybody for sharing their experiences.

David D. Preiss Ph.D.
Profesor Auxiliar / Assistant Professor
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
Escuela de Psicología.
Av. Vicuña Mackenna 4860.
Macul, Santiago de Chile.
Chile