Re: [xmca] real fieldwork experiences of ethnographers

From: steve thorne (sthorne@psu.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2006 - 19:11:05 PST

hi Mike and all -- Paul Rabinow -- the anthropologist from berkeley,
has a really nice book on the conceptual, moral, emotional, and
methodological challenges of ethnographic fieldwork. structured like
a memoir -- i think it was his first (of many) book.

worth a look --

Rabinow, P. (1978). Reflections on Fieldwork in Morocco. Berkeley:
University of California Press.

steve

>On 1-Apr-06, at 5:03 PM, Mike Cole wrote:
>
>Wow! Bingo! That was the book I recalled. Now lets see if there is dirty
>laundry elsewhere that may
>help with a little demystification project a friend is on.
>mike
>
>On 4/1/06, Ed Wall <ewall@umich.edu> wrote:
>>
>>Mike
>>
>> This is, I suspect, not quite what you are looking for: John van
>>Maanen's "Tales of the Field: On Writing Ethnography." Hoever, they
>>may be one or two chapters of use.
>>
>>Ed
>>
>>>All--
>>>
>>>Can anyone point me to publications on the real life, dirty laundry,
>>>accounts of ethnographers about their field experiences. I
>>>seem to recall the existence of such a book, but cannot for the life of
>>me
>>>find it. Maybe just wishful thinking?
>>>mike

Steven L. Thorne
Assistant Professor of Applied Linguistics
Linguistics and Applied Language Studies
Associate Director, Center for Language Acquisition
Associate Director, Center for Advanced Language Proficiency
Education and Research
The Pennsylvania State University
Interact > 814.863.7036 | sthorne@psu.edu |
http://language.la.psu.edu/~thorne/ | IM: avkrook