Re: [xmca] Dialogism-based models/tools

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@uga.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2006 - 03:28:14 PST

A good example of how Bakhtin's principles are applied to school-based
discussions of literature appears in Martin Nystrand's Opening Dialogue
(Teachers College Press, 1997). It got some attention on xmca awhile back:
http://lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/Mail/xmcamail.1998_01.dir/0035.html

I've also helped to chime in on literature discussions:
         Marshall, J. D., Smagorinsky, P., & Smith, M. W. (1995). The
language of interpretation: Patterns of discourse in discussions of
literature. NCTE Research Report No. 27. Urbana, IL: National Council of
Teachers of English.

My section of this project was also published as Smagorinsky, P. &
Fly, P. K. (1993). The social environment of the classroom: A Vygotskian
perspective on small group process. Communication Education, 42, 159-171.
which I have in pdf format and would be happy to send to anyone who's
interested. Peter