RE: [xmca] chat analysis of ritual

From: Helena Worthen (hworthen@uic.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2006 - 14:45:53 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of lobman@rci.rutgers.edu
Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2006 3:04 PM
To: mcole@weber.ucsd.edu; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] chat analysis of ritual

Hi all,
For the past three months I've been involved in a professional development
project in a New York City public school that seems very applicable to
this dialogue...

I had taught a game called I am a Tree to the First Grade (29 children)
several weeks ago. . My favorite scene was when someone came out a said,
"I am a fish" and immediately someone else came out and hugged them and
said, "I am the water."

Something about this story seems of use to me in thinking about the
current dialoge. Hopefully it will be to the list as well. I am someone
who has worked to create more inclusive, creative zpds in educational
settings for years, but this work in this very traditional, inner city
public school in Brooklyn has really pushed me to see how much one can ask
of children in terms of helping us create a zpd for the group to learn in.

Carrie

xmca