Re: [xmca] chat analysis of ritual

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2006 - 13:38:06 PST

Hi Ed-- So add to the collection. It doesn't seem essential to me that
people use terms
like zoped about which there is agreement on specific referents than that
they can be
analyzed in such terms and that they break transmission educational molds.

Activity-centered classrooms, problem-based learning, etc must all contain
well documented
examples. But to the best of my knowledge (unreliable!) perhaps 90% of
classrooms in the
elementary-secondary education system don't come close. I got only 6 hits on
google with
"workshop model education" but 105,000 with only workshop model and near the
top was
an NYC site: http://www.tqnyc.org/NYC052376/whatisworkshop_new.html

So we have a chapter from gordon, and you will add a good description of a
workshop class in action?
I nominate a chapter from one of Vivian Paley's books about acting out
dictated stories as an intro to
literacy that is the best example of a zoped in educational play I know of.

For starters, before we go for the NYTImes best seller list, we might simply
cumulate the examples at
the xmca website so we can get them more or less simultaneously before our
eyes.
mike