Re: [xmca] Joint mediated Activity

From: bb (xmca-whoever@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2006 - 18:12:10 PST

Elina, we seem to agree that cultural meanings are not uniform, but, among
other things, are activity specific. For example, the meaning shared among
physicists for the word "momentum" means something very different than it
does the athletic team coach and players on a winning streak, and even then,
among physicists, "momentum" functionally depends upon whether one is doing
classical physics, quantum mechanics, or special relativity, each with it's
own mathematical definition and methods, the lexicon and grammar of physics.

In a spin on an activity theoretic perspective; culture, social practice, and
"the countinuity of experience of human association" are mutual constitutive.
If one makes this spin, it's difficult to parse the distinctions you have
made between Dewey and Vygotsky. It's not even clear it's necessary if one
wishes to stand on their shoulders, rather than stand between them.

bb