Re: [xmca] Experience: material, ideal, real, imagined

From: Mary K. Bryson (mary.bryson@ubc.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 09:01:12 PST

Sherry Turkle's work (Life on the Screen, Second Self) provides a clear
place to start thinking through the complexities implicated in this
distinction -- fantasy/reality/ that is similar to its other binary,
reality/virtuality

The intellectual heritage that gives Turkle's work such explanatory power on
these questions is her background in object relations theory (from
psychoanalysis). In object relations, this is the labor of the psyche and
the binaries collapse in the "transitional spaces" (from Winnicott) of that
intermediary concept of "imagination".

I think that it is quite important to distinguish between theories of object
relations, and postmodernisms.

Mary