Re: [xmca] Experience: material, ideal, real, imagined

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (ana@zmajcenter.org)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2006 - 18:57:42 PST

Mike,
there is also a very good website with a lot of resources and opinions
regarding "real" and "fictive" and their relationship.
It is called "Transparency" and you can find it here:
http://www.transparencynow.com/index.html
I just found it looking for Sherry Turkle's book and other references.

The whole area of writing about "real" and "fictive" and whether the
boundaries are solid or not is very complex.
If you take the "fictive" or "imagined" to mean something like "figured"
-- then you go into the worlds of Dorothy Holland (Identity and Agency
in Cultural Worlds).
You can understand the "figureness" of different cultures -- but still
accept that they are "real" for the participants in those cultures.
But then, you can go more toward the "gaming" theories and the worlds of
Sherry Turkle in which the participants in the gaming worlds, although
they seem to know that the computer games they are participating in are
games, still experience them as "real" at least as real as "RL" (real
living) if not more.
Real and fictive are hard to define -- as the postmodernist theories are
trying to show.
Yet, I think that understanding the nuances of how they relate to each
other is one of the most important keys in our understanding of how
culture creates reality and understanding of it.
I am struggling with these issues for a long time and I find it
unproductive for a social researcher to blur the distinction between the
"real" and the "fictive". Yet, on the other hand, these concepts are
value laden and it should not be a researcher who decides, but the
"subject" -- in other words, the concepts of real and fictive should be
"emic" (decided by those whose worlds we are trying to observe and
understand).
Also, I think there are some more layers and dimensions there and that
people are not always referring to the same when they qualify something
as being real or fictive.
Ana

Ana Marjanovic'-Shane,Ph.D.

151 W. Tulpehocken St.